With a wonderful view of the Menai Straits and the island of Anglesey, Llanfairfechan is a great destination for a day out. There are a wealth of low-budget activities to enjoy individually or with family and friends. Here’s Your Hwb’s low-down on things to do in Llanfairfechan for free – you don’t have to spend lots of money to have fun.
- Go beachcombing
- Take a trip to the swings
- Take the kids for a splash in the paddling pool (summertime only)
- Play tennis
- Watch local football matches
- Enjoy local ice creams, teas, coffees and cake at our great local cafes
- Go birdwatching – visit the hides in the nature reserve beyond the cob
- Go fly a kite on the beach
- Try out the skate park with the kids!
- Do a little fishing or crabbing
- Build sandcastles
- Go sailing
- Take time to visit our eclectic mix of shops
Things to do for free in Llanfairfechan includes walking. There are wonderful routes through the town and beyond – you could try to:
- Climb the Hundred Steps up to Terrace Walk with fabulous views of the village and surrounding areas.
- Follow the Three Streams on a beautiful river walk in and amongst the woods, starting at Nant y Coed Nature Reserve; great for shelter on wet days.
- Climb Garreg Fawr and enjoy amazing views across the Menai Straits towards Anglesey and over towards Conwy.
- Try Geocaching and discover hidden treasure around Llanfairfechan – visit www.geocaching.com to find out more.
- Take a historical walk around the town: many of Llanfairfechan’s notable buildings were designed by the Arts & Crafts architect Herbert Luck North. They include the remarkable housing estate called The Close and the Church Institute. Llanfairfechan.org.uk has more information.
A little further afield
- Go walking in the beautiful Carneddau mountains – don’t forget to take a map!
- Visit Aber Falls and then enjoy great food at Caffi Hen Felin in Abergwyngregyn
- Climb up to the Druid’s Circle (Meini Hirion) above Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr
- Go cycling along the coastal path to Penmaenmawr, Conwy or the other way, towards Bangor
- Challenge yourself and do Park Run at Penrhyn Castle or Conwy RSPB – a free 5K timed run every Saturday at 9am
- Book a Welsh Hill Farming Experience at Tyn Llwyfan Farm
Pick up a free Llanfairfechan guide and map from the Newsagents on Village Road. We hope that you enjoy your visit to Llanfairfechan.